Preventing Acid Erosion in Kids
Acid erosion can affect all ages and cannot be reversed—protection is the best policy. Below are some tips that can help limit children’s exposure to acid erosion:
- Avoid brushing right after eating when the enamel is soft.
- Try to follow acidic meals with a glass of water or milk to help neutralize the acid.
- Encourage children to swallow acidic drinks immediately rather than swishing them around their mouths.
- Children should drink an acidic beverage in one sitting, rather than sipping it throughout the day.
- Instead of sucking on acidic snacks like sour candies, or even healthy ones such as orange wedges, encourage children to swallow food once they have finished properly chewing.
- Take children for regular dental check-ups and follow your dentist's advice.
- Brush twice a day, every day with a toothpaste like Pronamel® for Kids to help re-harden and strengthen acid-softened tooth enamel and keep children’s teeth strong and healthy.