8 Ways to Make and Keep Your Teeth Strong and White
1. Eat calcium-rich foods.
Calcium is essential for strong, healthy teeth because it helps remineralize enamel. Incorporate a healthy amount of dairy products, leafy greens, and nuts into your diet.
2. Drink water instead of soda or juice.
Acidic drinks like soda and fruit juice wear away enamel, which can contribute to the yellowing of your teeth over time. Water is a much more enamel-friendly choice as it has a relatively neutral pH level.
3. Brush with an enamel-strengthening toothpaste.
Use a specialized toothpaste like Pronamel Active Shield Whitening. Its formula works to strengthen enamel and whiten teeth for a whiter smile with twice daily brushing.
4. Reduce foods and drinks that stain enamel.
Things like dark soda, red wine, tomatoes, and coffee contain a combination of acids and pigments that can discolor or weaken your enamel.
5. Eat a balanced diet.
In addition to calcium, getting enough teeth and enamel-friendly- vitamins and minerals, like vitamins D, A and phosphorous, is important for keeping teeth strong and white. Try adding more colorful fruits and vegetables to your diet.1
6. Get plenty of fluoride.
Fluoride helps strengthen the surface of the tooth and make it more resistant to erosion. It repairs tooth damage due to acids in our diet through a process called remineralization. Drinking fluoridated tap water, brushing with a fluoride toothpaste and visiting your dentist regularly for fluoride treatments can make your smile stronger, and subsequently whiter.2
7. Avoid DIY whitening remedies.
Creating your own whitening solution using household ingredients may seem like a budget-friendly way to make your teeth whiter, but most homemade pastes do more harm than good. Ingredients like vinegar, charcoal, lemon, etc. can be too abrasive on teeth and wear down your enamel after prolonged exposure.3
8. Don’t forget about the rest of your mouth.
Good oral care is more than just proper brushing. Remember to floss and brush your tongue—because a healthy mouth and gums help keep teeth healthy and white, too.
With a few simple changes to your oral care routine and diet, you can improve the health and appearance of your smile.
*vs. Pronamel® Daily Protection
- ADA Marketplace - American Dental Association. https://marketplace.ada.org/blog/dental-business/vitamins-and-minerals-guide-to-the-best-supplements-for-healthy-teeth/. Accessed 4/5/23.
- Fluoride | MouthHealthy. Oral Health Information from the ADA. https://www.mouthhealthy.org/all-topics-a-z/fluoride. Accessed 4/5/23.
- Natural Teeth Whitening. MouthHealthy. Oral Health Information from the ADA. https://www.mouthhealthy.org/all-topics-a-z/natural-teeth-whitening/. Accessed 4/5/23.